Makers of Japanese Woodworking Hand Tools
Meet Your Makers
- Yoshihiro Yamamoto, Plane Smith
- Yamamoto's artist name is Tesshinsai Houraku. He makes a product line known as Katsusaburo. He also makes plane blades such as Suimei, Fuso, Kinjyu, etc. Some of Yamamoto's planes can be found in our Kanna Gallery.
- Yamamoto's Web Page
- Japanese Tools Smith
- Tsunesaburo II, Plane Smith
Sadahide II - Plane Smith
- Chisel Smith
- Yuji Funatsu, Plane & Chisel Smith
- Funatsu's artist name is Funahiro. He is known for his line of Genju Funahiro products (planes, chisels, yari ganna, etc). He also makes plane blades such as Tensui, Tenkei, Godaisan, etc. A few Funahiro planes can be found in our Kanna Gallery.
- Kengo Usui, Plane Smith
- Kengo Usui retired in early 2006, although it seems he still occassionally makes onesie twosies (see Iida Tool Web Page). His popular works include Kenkon ('Spirit of the Sword'), Jo No Mai, Mugen no Yume, Kakou, Banyu, Kenmei, etc. We have some Usui planes displayed in our Kanna Gallery.
- Iyoroi, Chisel Smith (Japanese page)
- Dai (Wooden Plane Block) Makers
- Isao Inomoto, the older of the Inomoto brothers, has been making dais out of Sanjo for over 50 years. According to Tomohito Iida, the younger Inomoto only sold dais to users directly. Also according to Harrelson Stanley, the younger Inotomo has not made dais for many years. Isao Inomoto's works are more accessible since he sells directly to wholesalers and retailers. Most likely your Inomoto dai was made by him.
- Kokichiya - His works are often found on Funahiro planes. Yokosaka (Rakuzan plane) also uses Kokichiya dai's. [Kokichiya seal]
- Nimura - His works are often found on Mosaku planes. [Nimura seal]
- Matsuo - His works are often found on Tsunesaburo planes. [Matsuo seal]
- Tanaka Hisao - He's passed away. [Hisao seal, Hisao-san in Mahogany Masterpiece catalog (Full size)]
- Horiba - [Horiba seal (Full size)]
- 2007/01/01 - Page created.
- 2007/02/15 - Added dai makers: Inomoto, Kokichiya, Nimura, Horiba, Matsuo.
- 2007/02/21 - Added Horiba seal.
- 2007/11/19 - Corrected information about Isao Inomoto (his younger brother doesn't make dais anymore and hadn't done so for many years).